Wood Window Blinds?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcmakotomc

Reaction score
Hello Everyone, should I get a real wood window blinds or faux wood? Where is the best place to buy them? Thanks

I bought the 2” slat type from Walmart made of plastic come in black white and oak. I think they look nice and won’t break the bank. Some of them are really big bucks, the real wood ones.

Many of the plastic blinds are shipped in from China and Japan. I also heard most, if not all of these foreign blinds have chemicals in their making that can harm your health. All wood, American made blinds are nearly the same price, provided you do your shopping correctly.

We live in a plastic world and yes the PVC in the blinds could be toxic. As could the siding on most homes and most floorings. Buying wood blinds will be coated with something most likely toxic to some extent as well. Most of the interior parts of our cars are plastic. Garbage cans, food storage, etc etc.

If there are made in USA blinds that are wood and even 4X the cost I would be interested in getting some. The ones I bought were about $14 per window. Anything I was seeing in wood were a $200 plus and were made overseas as well.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Richfield-Studio-2-Room-Darkening-Blinds-Chestnut/15435495

Just based on form and function the plastic ones I bought pass all my criteria. I am not an interior decorator by a long shot but they hang nice, were easy to install, they open and shut go up and down and block the light. To me they just look like wood blinds. I took them all down right before the holiday and I have a PVC pipe I cut to bridge the length of the shower she uses to hang wet clothes on to drip and then stores it in the laundry room. I put that up and made two hooks from a coat hanger and hung the blinds in the shower and took the sprayer to them, shook them off and waited a few minutes and rehung them. I cleaned a dozen of them in a couple hours. I don’t know if you can shower wood ones or not. They came out looking like new I found you need to use warm or cold water as pure hot made them saggy but they came right back.

Wood: Pro: Traditional look, natural beauty. Con: Thicker, so when raised up completely, they block the top part of the window; limited colour choice; more expensive.
Plastic: Pro: low price; don't damage easlily. Con: Usually only available in off-the-shelf sizes. Minimal colour choice; gathers dust that tends to stick.
Aluminum: Pro: Thinnest slats, so minimum blockage of window when raised up completely, big colour choice, many companies that manufacture to exact size (at a cost). Con: More expensive, can be permanently kinked if slats bent too severely.

I placed a set of plastic blinds in my garage and the heat from the sun melted them.

Back