Wattage question?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WestBentley

Reaction score
If you are using the Energy Star flourescent lights, can you put in a light that is lower wattage than the max for your fixture, but is "equivalent" to a higher wattage in conventional bulbs?

The two overhead fixtures we chose turned out to be not as bright as we expected, we are currently using Energy Star bulbs that are 27w but "equivalent" to 100W which is the max wattage for our fixture. The room is a little dimmer than we'd like (kitchen/dining) for the purposes of food prep, etc, but it's not too far off.

Yes, the actual wattage is the cause of the heat. We use several compact flourescents and have noticed they are a little dim when first turned on but they will power up in a few minutes.
Glenn

The fixture rating are based on actual wattage not fictional equivalent wattages posted on CFL bulbs.
Note most CFL lamps are not rated to be installed in closed fixtures. They still overheat. They also contain mercury and are hazardous waste to dispose of.

Ok, so if I get CFL's that are higher than 27w and made for enclosed fixtures, I'm good to go? These are still dim even after powering up. I thought we had the right bulbs for enclosed fixtures but will have to double check, we aren't living there yet so the bulbs aren't on for very long, just the portion of the evening we work there and it's dark, maybe 1-2 hours.

I can't wait for LED technology to really get going for residential lighting. There's some products out there, but it's not widespread. I'll probably skip the CFL craze altogether!

I can't wait for LED technology to really get going for residential lighting. There's some products out there, but it's not widespread. I'll probably skip the CFL craze altogether!

I think the flashlight and machine trades are dominating the development in that department and the people who make light bulbs are more interested in making satelite dishes and getting more money in less time than spending it on new revolutionary developments. I could be wrong but it's just what I've seen. ( i.e. Phillips/Magnavox)

Back