8x12 shed floor and foundation

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedBaron

Reaction score
Just wondering if this will work as a floor and foundation for a shed.
Want to keep it as low as possible on long side so want to use joists to carry the load and the end/rim joists to hold the remaining joists

top hill is to the right and would use wasted space off end of retaining wall so its flat along the 12 ft length where you would step out of the shed (bottom of sketch where dimensions are)

ShedFloor.jpg

Normally almost anything goes for a shed but as you are of the ground some distance you do want to take it more seriously.
As drawn I think you would want to double the 8 ft rim at each end and use hanger for all.

Two thought.
1 Move the piers out to the rim and double the rim.

2 Attach rim to the retaining wall and move the lower piers out to the lower 12 ft double rim joist or put a 2 ply beam on piers where they are.
That does away with 2 piers and runs the joists from the wall out.

2 is what I would try to do.

And welcome back, it's been a while.

Last edited:
Only problem is I already poured the piers.
Nice day on Sunday and figured had to get some work done, like you said its a shed, anything goes, so skipped the planning part. probably not the best move on my part

So back to your plan, double over piers and double at both ends with hangers tying everything together.
cut you joist to 11' 6" and if you are using TG plywood for the floor you may want to go a little shorter as some T and G flooring is not 4 ft wide.

All the weight of your building and contents will be concentrated on 4 points where the rim connects to the double beam joists. I understand you want to keep things lower so a stacked design where the joists sit on top of the beams is not practical. Where you show, the double joists are not the member that is taking most of the load. What is holding the building and contents is the right and left rim joists.

As much as we don’t like to go backwards in a project I would pour new piers and make the right and left rim the load beam as a double and then hang all the joists off those 2 beams.

Or better yet make the top and bottom rims the beams and then have shorter joists going in the other direction. Unless you already jumped the gun and bought the 12 footers.

Back