DIY structural wall removal...

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny0110

Reaction score
Hello, first post here. I've been thinking for years to teardown this wall and exactly how to do it. Let me give some background on the house first. The original structure was built in 1970 as a three bedroom two bath and in 1990, the owner / average carpenter expaned the house and made it into a two story. The wall i want to teardown used to be the outside of the house. The concrete rises from the original house to the addition and I'll show you in pictures.

My thoughts are that i can add in support columns and remove the wall so i can expand / double my kitchen.

Hello, first post here. I've been thinking for years to teardown this wall and exactly how to do it. Let me give some background on the house first. The original structure was built in 1970 as a three bedroom two bath and in 1990, the owner / average carpenter expaned the house and made it into a two story.

Chances are that your municipality will have a copy of the plans and the engineer who did the calcs. You need them.

The wall i want to teardown used to be the outside of the house. The concrete rises from the original house to the addition and I'll show you in pictures.

You'll need to elaborate on this, because the statement portends of a poured in place solid concrete wall, or a cmu wall. Both of which will be answered by reviewing the plans.

My thoughts are that i can add in support columns and remove the wall so i can expand / double my kitchen.

If the original engineer is still around, he/she can help you with this. At any rate, you'll need one.

Latest posts

Back