Attic door insulation

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjones

Reaction score
I live in a house that was originally build as a 1-story house. The previous owner added a room to the back of the house, as well as an extra room above that room that also leads to the attic (hope that makes sense). At first, this addition had no heat/air running to it, but I added that after I purchased the house. The thermostat and return had to be put in the upstairs "loft" beside the door that leads to the attic. This is a regular door (not a pull-down). I'm concerned that, since the thermostat is right beside the door, it causes the unit to run more frequently. Is there a way to insulate that door so that it won't allow as much heat or cold to affect the reading of the thermostat? Sorry this was so long, and hopefully it makes sense. Thanks.

Or else make a lookup table for how much to set back the 'stat depending on the room you most use. The Stack Effect in your 'stat room will be cancelling out the heat loss somewhat.

Or use 6" thick insulation with facing or not and somehow fasten it to the other side of the door. Do not compress the insulation.
To prevent air infiltration add weather stripping.

I try to set the termostat with that in mind, I just thought that there might be something else I could do. Thanks.

That door should be an exterior door with weather stripping, theashold, just like the back door. That is an exterior wall, I beleive the Tstat should be on an interior wall.

Back