Poorly framed walls

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dberg

Reaction score
I tore down the wood planks adorning my living room walls so that I could put drywall for a modern look. What I found was that the walls were framed with different sized pieces of wood. There are some standard 2X4s and some true 2X4s. So when I put a piece of drywall up to the wall some studs are still a half inch away from the drywall. Any suggestions would be great.

Welcome to the Forum Dberg:
You can stretch 3 strings (top-middle- bottom) using a 1-1/2" block on each end under the string. Then, measure the 3 points on each stud, subtract the 1-1/2" from each measurement and rip a piece to go on each one that doesn't come out to the full 4". This is a method of scribing the studs to match and you should come out with a perfectly flat wall.
Glenn

Go to the corners and drive framing nails just an inch or so into the framing. Stretch strings across the wall at the top, center and the bottom. Tie them to the nails. Adjust the strings out from the wall framing on the nails until they're just barely touching the most studs. These are your high tops. The studs that do not touch by at least 1/8 -1/4 inch need to be ferred out to just touch the string like the high tops. You can use ripped 2x material or plywood strips, the most economical way is to use 2x6s and cut several fron one board. It's easier to build them out than to cut them.

Welcome to the forum!
Tom

Back