Stove vent pipe - it's not just for good looks!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snav

Reaction score
You know - what is the purpose of the stove vent pipe?

(trick question)

Ok - well - in order for it to fulfill it's purpose it must vent OUT and AWAY, yes? - Yeah varily I say to you, it must!

Mine does not. Maybe they wanted it to - seeing as how they piped it out through the attic - a length does carry through like it should. . .great for passing inspection, yes?

But when I ripped off the siding of the blind-space above the cabinets I found the vent pipe just opened to the ceiling - the opening in the ceiling for it to pass through is sort of "there" but it's not even big enough for a reduced pipe to fit through.

The dang thing was never connected - how long did it go like this? Since they built the house? Probably. . . 30 years it's been venting into the blind-space above the cabinets.

You know - what is the purpose of the stove vent pipe?

(trick question)

Ok - well - in order for it to fulfill it's purpose it must vent OUT and AWAY, yes? - Yeah varily I say to you, it must!

Mine does not. Maybe they wanted it to - seeing as how they piped it out through the attic - a length does carry through like it should. . .great for passing inspection, yes?

But when I ripped off the siding of the blind-space above the cabinets I found the vent pipe just opened to the ceiling - the opening in the ceiling for it to pass through is sort of "there" but it's not even big enough for a reduced pipe to fit through.

The dang thing was never connected - how long did it go like this? Since they built the house? Probably. . . 30 years it's been venting into the blind-space above the cabinets.

Is there a question in there somewhere? It is suppose to vent out with joints made to let any heavy grease run back into the hood filter and not built up in the duct, or it could be a fire waiting to happen. Paul

I sense sarcasm in the post title.

That's crazy that it's been venting back there this whole time. When you get it hooked up correctly, you're going to notice a huge temperature difference while cooking.

Well - the hood has been cleaned, vented properly and reinstalled - took me all of two hours. Gee, so hard.

Yes - sarcasm . . . annoyance with all the things I've discovered over the years in this house. . . it's never been simple.

Latest posts

Back