GE GDS20SCASASS relay clicking but cycling

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ztech750

Reaction score
I have a GE GDS20SCSASS model fridge. just woke up to it clicking a relay over and over. If you unplug it from the wall, and plug it in, you hear a few seconds of fluid moving (i think) and then a relay click. it repeats that pattern continually. I took the bottom cover off and nothing seemed overly dusty. but i cleaned it anyway. I took the cover off the upper panel and there is the relay that is clicking. tried tapping on it while it was cycling, but nothing changed. Reading other forum posts, it sounds like that relay is to fire the compressor. Am i to assume the relay is bad, or that i have a greater problem with the compressor?

Hi,

The relay/overload on the side of the compressor is clicking or the relay on the mother board is clicking....or both?

Compressor relay/overload clicking on and off can be a bad relay and/or a bad compressor....would have to be investigated.
LINK> refrigerator problems and solutions, not cold enough, frost free repair information

If needed:

00662987.jpg

PTC relay

01091475.jpg

Main control board assembly

jeff.

the relay on the motherboard is clicking. Is the sounds of fluid moving i hear for a few seconds before the relay clicks, the compressor starting up but failing?

the relay on the motherboard is clicking

If you have no power to the compressor ( 110-120 volts AC ) and the relay on the mother board is clicking or making funky noises, sounds like a board issue :(
Compressor can be checked by ohming the windings and when running the current draw is checked with an amp meter.
Electrical testing tips

jeff.

Back