Does the chimney need covering?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryce

Reaction score
Do you think moisture comes through the chimney like this? I notice when it rains a bit of musty odor, not sure but could be the concrete dampness on the roxul insulation. Notice the top of the chimney is looking a bit rotten.

ABC_1382.jpg

ABC_1383.jpg

Turns out that chimneys can be porous. The bricks can transmit moisture through the roof and into your attic. I had a small, undetectable leak near my new chimney; I thought the guys had somehow screwed up the job. But I got some advice about spray-sealing the bricks and my problem went away.

In the pic above, I would have no problem believing those blocks need a better seal. You also need to inspect the flashing.

Last edited:
That looks just like water comming down the flue of the chimney. looks to me like the water follows your insert pipe into the clay tile... then weeps inside.
You need a bigger chimney cap, or remove the block chimney and install a roof collar at the flashing area just leaving metal pipe exposed. You may need to change the top piece of metal to insulated pipe, but it does get rid of the exposed block, and the hole where the water comes in.:D

okay for a cheap solution what do you think about roof cement? I assume these are mostly tar. I could very carefully apply it with a roller or brush with a 15 ft handle and a ladder, since the chimney is about 25 feet up. Think that would work?
17007.BQ395168_4.jpg

okay for a cheap solution what do you think about roof cement? I assume these are mostly tar. I could very carefully apply it with a roller or brush with a 15 ft handle and a ladder, since the chimney is about 25 feet up. Think that would work?

No. You will make a bigger mess than you already have. Roof cement is not meant for exposure to UV. Fill the cracks with a masonary caulk, then seal the block with a masonary sealer. Sealer alone will not bridge any cracks. Then put a storm collar around the flue pipe at the top. This may buy you some time, but roof cement is not your best answer...IMHO.

Back