Greetings from Northern Calif.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woody99

Reaction score
Greetings to all from Northern California. I found this forum while looking for info on doing some structural repairs on an old house here in Pleasant Hill Ca.

A little background. The house we live in has been in my wife's family since 1948. It was originally built in the late 1800's, and was moved about 1000 Yards, down a hill (which doesn't even exist anymore) to its current location.

The house is an old "4 Square" style house with a Hip roof. See enclosed Picture.

I have to say that living in / With an older home like this is an on-going "adventure". It seems like each time we begin a project it mushrooms into a major undertaking, but I guess I would not want to trade. The house has "style" :)

Much of the lumber in the house, at least in the "core" of the house is real dimension lumber....a 2x4 is really 2" x 4", which makes adding things inside 'interesting' Many Square nails in those parts as well.

We are in the middle of replacing the porch you see in the picture, and have run into some issues, I will ask about in other threads....

Thanks for the knowledge and advise I have read already....

Mike

DSC00125.JPG

Welcome aboard Mike,
We are happy to help out where we can. A bunch of Do it yourselfers, and plenty of professionals around too.:)
Lookin forward to helping you with your ongoing "old" house,;) with character challenges.:D

Latest posts

Back