Outside house flood lights

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jdock432

Reaction score
We just bought a new house that is very tall and they have lights underneath the hang offs from the roof that have small flood lights that shine down the side of the house. There are two light holes that are missing the entire light socket inside where the light would go. How can I put a new socket in there?

Not sure what you mean by "light holes." Do you mean a missing fixture or is the socket missing from inside a fixture?

If the light fixture is no longer on the wall, you need to replace it. If the socket, internal to the fixture has been pulled out, you also probably have to replace the bad fixture with a new one.

In my experience, there is no way to replace a "socket" in a fixture.

BTW, welcome to the site and your question does make sense. If you could post some pics, it would really help. ANY question is OK here, except those dealing with the meaning of life, why dark matter exists, or exactly what year the San Diego Chargers will win the Super Bowl.

:D

Hang offs = Soffits. It will be easier to replace the fixture than attempt to retro-fit a socket into the existing fixture.

I don’t know what hang offs are. Gutters attach to the roof surface and / or the fascia. The soffit is the return back to the wall sheathing where it is common to place air inlets for cooling the roof surface. The whole unit around here is commonly called the overhang.

Jdock432 said:
We just bought a new house that is very tall and they have lights underneath the hang offs from the roof that have small flood lights that shine down the side of the house. There are two light holes that are missing the entire light socket inside where the light would go. How can I put a new socket in there?
Replacing a socket is relatively easy but not worth doing , considering the overall cost of a new fixture. Just make sure the new fixture will receive a bulb that complies with the new laws which go into effect soon. Won't be long before standard bulbs are outlawed.

Last edited:
Back