Plumbing - question my husband is not asking

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ange3474

Reaction score
So I purchased a new vanity -not really knowing enough about plumbing. But anyway here is the issue at hand. I am hoping there is fix as I want to have a new bathroom vanity installed soon.

The old vanity had a sink to the right of the counter top, and the new one is in the center of the vanity. So after ripping out the old one and seeing that the pipe is in the wrong place (which I should have realized prior) it needs to be repiped to the left about 12 inches. My husband is getting ready to cut a whole in the wall and repipe (scary) to the left. Is there any advice on doing this and what needs to happen inside the wall to the pipes. (pictures would be great here) I would just have him repipe outside the wall, but the new vanity has drawers on both sides so it needs to be direct. Please help so I can pass on the info to him. :)

Tearing into the drywall and finding that you'll have to cut holes in the wall studs (horizontally) is going to be a pain in the butt. I hope the wall is not exterior or load bearing. Your best bet is to make a 90 degree turn right out of the wall and see if you can't run behind the drawers. Sometimes there's at least a couple of inches of play between the back of the drawer and the back of the vanity.

It is not load bearing but the house is really old and the dry wall does need to be replaced. Would you make a 90 degree turn with each hot and cold and drain? (forgive me if this is a stupid question as I am not doing the work just the boss).

When you look into the drain pipe in the wall does it drain horizontally or, vertically? What is the drain pipe constructed of?

I am not sure he has not cut into the wall as of yet. What do I need to know if either are the case?

it would make a difference in how you put this together.

Usually you can just look in the pipe with a light and see which direction it goes.

Hot and cold drain should all be one drain so you only have to accomodate one drain pipe.

I see - well I am pretty sure that the pipe is vertical, and today the wall is going to be removed so I should be able to see more. As far as adding pipe inside the wall is that going to be fairly easy to do for him? Is there any technical things I should know prior?

You would just cut the tee out of the pipe and put in a new sanitary tee, dirty arm, and elbow out of the wall with a trap adapter. It would help is you said what kind of pipe you have. Galvanized, copper, ABS, PVC, etc.

Is there any technical things I should know prior?
Peek in a current issue of whatever Residential Code is used in your area at a technical bookstore.
You may find that your repiping options is this case are few or zero, if you stay within code.

Last edited:
Peek in a current issue of the International Residential Code at a technical bookstore.
You may find that your repiping options is this case are few or zero, if you stay within code.

I don't know why someone in Washington State would want to look at an IRC Codebook when Washington State uses the UPC Code...:rolleyes:

Back