Garage door malfunctioning... please help!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lauralulalu

Reaction score
I have an older genie brand garage door. Not sure what year because I bought the house 5 years ago and the house was built in 1952, so anywhere in there could be when it was bought. All I know is that it's an older chain model with no sensors so you can walk under and it will still go down. I'm not sure what is going on with the door but when you hit the button to open the door it goes up about 2 inches then back down. I can get it to go up inches at a time if I keep pushing the wall button to override the action of it putting itself back down. The same happens when its up and I try to put it back down. My dad checked the spring, and the bar, and the chain on it, and could not firgure out what was wrong with this thing, and he's usually a Macguyverin home repairs. If anyone has had a similar problem or my know what is wrong with it, please let me know any iddeas you might have! Thanks!

You should have a release to disconnect the moter from the door and open it by hand. If it dosn't operate easyly, it might be a spring problem or rollers stuck. If the door works alrite you canstill call Genie, you won't be covered under warrentee but the should be able to help figure what's wrong.
http://www.geniecompany.com/support_warranty.aspx

My dad tried fixing the spring, and it wasn't that or at least from what we could tell. we had a family friend come over and he tightened the chain and also made sure the rollers were clear and that everything was able to roll correctly. He got it working again for about 2 minutes. It went up and down twice and now will only go up an inch then force itself closed again. Thinking I will get a hold of Genie and see what they say, otherwise I'm thinking a whole new motor is needed. Thanks for the website!

The motor has a senser inside that measures movement and if it has malfunctioned , it thinks the door is jambed and reverses the motor.

Back