Causes of Cracks in the Basement & garrage

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jag

Reaction score
Please advice me as I am thinking of buying a house which has two crack s in the basement floor almost 1 cm wide all over the floor & there are also cracks in the Garrage floor & also cracks in the driveway but the house is well priced & good .I am just worrying about these cracks . What will be the results of these cracks . May it result in the roof & walls cracks too.as house was built in 2008. :confused:

Welcome Jag:
Several things could have caused the cracks: lack of compaction of the sub-surface, lack of reinforcing wire, thin concrete, poor concrete. At this stage you can caulk the cracks and, if they get worse, replace the concrete. Make sure the price is low enough to replace all the concrete.
Glenn

Concrete cracks - The things Glenn mentions will cause it to crack worse. 1cm isn't too too bad as long as its done cracking. The driveway would be my biggest concern. If you are in an area where you get a lot of freezing and thawing and freezing then that crack will get worse each winter. The basement and garage floor cracks may be ok to live with and aesthetic only.

make sure your offer is contingent upon a home inspection and you have an out clause if trouble is found.

Back