Identifying A Tree

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1victorianfarmhouse

Established Member
Reaction score
A local woman is trying to figure out what kind of tree this is, either she will cut it down, or if it's something I would like to dig out, I can take it. She has tried to kill it off by pruning it pretty severely with no luck.

Although this is fall, the few drying out leaves left on it in early November looked somewhat like maple leaves, but the bark of the tree is different than other younger maples in the area.

The bark is a light brown, with a greenish hint to it, if scratched the color immediately below the brown is green. There is no pattern on the bark. When I saw it up close, all I could think of as a comparison was the leg of a deer for color.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

vince

11-08-10 pics 001.jpg

11-08-10 pics 002.jpg

Vince, I have no idea what the tree is, it looks like one I had growing along the edge of my house. I could not kill the thing, cut it down to the grass, next year, its back. The last time I cut it off at the ground, drilled a hole in the stump and filled it with Round-up and rock salt. Its gone..

heh, thanks! Since it's not mine unless I want to dig it up and bring it home, it's interesting to hear that someone else had a similar tree they couldn't easily get rid of. Since the lady whose yard it's in had some other desireable trees (redbud, hawthorn) that I dug up, I'm wondering what it is.

I really can't see the leaves, but the scrubby look of it makes me wonder if it's a volunteer mulberry. Their leaves look a little bit like a cross between Maple & Oak, and the bark is smooth like that.

But that's just a wild guess.

Back