Flat Roof

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astephens

Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a home that has a flat roof. I have an inspection set up but I am curious about this rubber foof. I was looking on bing maps and the top of the roof has these white streaks all over it. Is this bad? Or what does this mean. thanks so much for any help

I uploaded the pic to my profile I'm not sure how to send it to you though. because i do not have a url just the pic saved on my phone

The quality of the photo really doesn't let us know whats going on. If you have an inspection lined up tell the inspector your concerns about the streaking. You can also ask for a roof inspection from a roofing company in addition to the home inspection. Most (not all) roofing companies give free estimates. If you are not going to replace the roof offer to pay the company for an opinion of the serviceability of the current system.

First thing to remember is that E.P.D.M. (rubber) roof systems are NOT warrantied on residential applications.

There are flat roof specific systems that are warrantied for residences.

Any roof system will at some point in time require maintenance. The average life span on a single ply roof (rubber) is about 15 years. The biggest thing about maximizing the life span of any roof system is proper installation. This is the single biggest reason of premature failure in the roofing business.

Good luck and hope all goes well.

Back