Asbestos in floor?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dzarate29

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am in the process of taking up my original bathroom and laundry room floor from when the house was built in 58. I am not sure when they stopped uses asbestos in flooring, anyone got a clue? Thanks

Asbestos in flooring was phased out starting in the 1970's. Until just recently, I think an outright ban did not exist.

If you are removing the flooring (tile squares?) I would wet the location before and during the demolition. Wear protective masks and gloves and hose off completely when finished. Seal all debris in plastic bags and get rid of them. Asbestos is only a problem when it is dry, disturbed and gets airborne.

I know tile and flooring guys who have worked with the stuff for decades and have no ill effects. Just be careful, not wildly paranoid.

Thanks, thats what I was thinking but just wanted a second opinion....already have the 3M respirators with the correct filters, sealed off all other rooms, wet it down, and have ventilation to the outside just in case. Now the fun of tearing out the tiles and subfloor :)

Get a pair of those plastic though away coveralls so you don't carry this stuff around the house on your clothes.

Latest posts

Back