Homeowner Test to see if wood is Pressure Treated?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curmudgeon10

Reaction score
I had to contract with the original fence company this year to replace 6 PT fence posts which had rotted at ground level. Fence is 10 years old split rail, wire mesh applied.

This is a reputable company in our area. The replacement posts did not LOOK pressure treated to me, but the company assured me they were.

Is there any way for a homeowner to test the material to see whether it is pressure treated?

Treated lumber should have a green color to it. Some but not all have been insized, which is hundreds of little cuts on all four sides with the grain to allow more treatment to get into the wood.

The posts have no discernible green tinge, but I am not going to use that as a definitive test one way or the other (because I know the installer will come up with some reason why I can't see a green tinge). I was hoping for something simple like (not saying this is true...) "a drop of household vinegar turns the wood black," etc.

Maybe you should make a trip to your local lumber yard and look at treated and untreated posts so you would have a better idea. If the tops are cut you would be able to see an untreated center. Maybe you could post a photo here.

The posts have no discernible green tinge, but I am not going to use that as a definitive test one way or the other (because I know the installer will come up with some reason why I can't see a green tinge). I was hoping for something simple like (not saying this is true...) "a drop of household vinegar turns the wood black," etc.
As far as i know they outlawed the stuff that makes the wood green. When i buy treated wood now it looks almost clear. About like wet wood. Paul

PT lumber is not as green as it used to be because they are no longer using CCA to treat it.

If it's green it's treated with copper, if it's been kiln dryed after treatment almost all the green goes away.

Back