gutter repairs

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joybird

Reaction score
I have bought a simple ranch house with straight runs of 5" K style aluminum guttering front and back. It is a mess. Spikes are all loose, so guttering sags beyond reach of drip edge. Some spikes were simply moved up to avoid old worn hole, and that was at what should have been the low end. Then, on each run there are a couple of places where a vertical groove was cut into the back. ?? I've put a lot of money and effort into regrading yard and putting in downspout drains that daylight lower on the lot to dry up basement. The one weak link remaining are those gutters. Can I take them down and patch all the spike holes, and rehang them with hidden facia hangers? Or am I better off replacing them? Other economical options? I'm a retired person with more time than money. There are the same gutters on a breezeway and garage, but they seem firmly attached and are working.
Thank you for any input.
Joy

I have bought a simple ranch house with straight runs of 5" K style aluminum guttering front and back.

Can I take them down and patch all the spike holes, and rehang them with hidden facia hangers? Or am I better off replacing them? Other economical options? I'm a retired person with more time than money. There are the same gutters on a breezeway and garage, but they seem firmly attached and are working.
Thank you for any input.
Joy

I would recommend getting new 6" gutters and 3X4" down pipe attached with hidden hangers. Taking them down and reattaching, you will never repair the existing holes long term.

Back