Radiant Floor and Ceiling Heat Insulation

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveR

Reaction score
I recently purchased a house in Connecticut built circa 1950 with ceiling hydronic heat in the bedroom area and floor hydronic heat in the living room, dining room and kitchen. Pipes are visible in the attic. Some are embedded in the plaster. Floor piping is embeded in the concrete slab. My question is what is the appropriate attic insulation in the two sections of the house?

Well the plumbing run through the floors will leak at some point if it was done in the 50's if it's not already leaking.
Everyone of the Frank Loyd Wight homes have had to replace it years ago.
I'm very suprized that plumbing has not burst from freezing by now that far north, must be running anti freeze in the lines. Any form of plumbing is never ran through an attic or outside wall any more in your area by code.
How much insulation you need depends on where you live.
R50 is the norm. in you area R-50 is 12" of fiberglass insulation.

Last edited:
I recently purchased a house in Connecticut built circa 1950 with ceiling hydronic heat in the bedroom area and floor hydronic heat in the living room, dining room and kitchen. Pipes are visible in the attic. Some are embedded in the plaster. Floor piping is embeded in the concrete slab. My question is what is the appropriate attic insulation in the two sections of the house?
Is your pipes are copper? I am guessing that they are. If you have copper in cement and
plaster you are really going on borrowed time. Cement eats up copper. You better be thinking real hard about a new system. Paul

Back