Water pressure tank

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PoBayou

Reaction score
My tank cuts on at 20lbs and shuts off at 45 every 2 min with no water running. It is a bag less tank .. Found no leaks in the house....would like better pressure if I replace the tank...... Any advice , like maybe a bigger and better pressure switch , and tank ?

I think you may have two problems.
1. For the pump to come on with no water running indicates a leak somewhere on the system. Possibly the foot valve in the well is bad.
2. Every two minutes indicates a possible water logged tank unless the leak is large and is draining down the tank fast.

If it's a galvanized tank, it's probably waterlogged and a little leak would make it act that way. Maybe a flapper in a toilet is needing replacement. Turn off the pump, open a valve hopefully at the bottom of the tank, and remove a plug up closer to the top to let air in as you let water out. The idea is to drain the tank completely of water and replace it with air. Button it up and turn the pump back on. It should stay off much longer and take a lot longer to fill back up.

If you have an air compressor, you can push the water out of any valve.

Alright, appreciate you guys reply, I isolated the toilet and it took 20 min to get down to 30 lbs, but it held at 30 for like 15 mins before I had let somebody use the water ,believe it would have went another 15 mins before it kicked on , is once every 45-50 mins pretty good or ok?

is once every 45-50 mins pretty good or ok?
No it is not if nobody is using water. The pump should not kick on unless someone actually uses water.

I had a similar problem here in Denver. I had to finally call in the big guns to help me out.

We used Ben Franklin here. They were awesome.

Back