Replacing sheathing on a roof

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did he inspect the structure from within? Did he walk on the roof?

He was limited to what he could see, you are not limited on what you can look at.

The home inspector? That is tomorrow. Then, I will know what I am really in for.

The home inspector? That is tomorrow. Then, I will know what I am really in for.

Bingo!

I hope the inspector was hired by you instead of the seller or the realtor. Worst mistake I ever made was using the realtor's recommended inspector. Everything was just glossed over in his report. I'm still discovering the truth.

Bingo!

I hope the inspector was hired by you instead of the seller or the realtor. Worst mistake I ever made was using the realtor's recommended inspector. Everything was just glossed over in his report. I'm still discovering the truth.

I found him myself.

I know to ask key questions and watch where he goes and what he does.

If it does not go well, he does not get paid.

If there are big questions that can not be answered by the inspector, you can always ask for some distructive inspection as part of the offer. I didn't beleive a sell that insisted the basement was finished with studs and insulation.
They excepted my offer to inspect and I found drywall glued to concrete and knocked a bunch off the price.

I will ask lots of questions, including my "key" questions.
I will be at his side. Where he goes, I go. What he looks at, so do I.

If I cannot get the questions answered, I will find a way to get it answered, or, I walk. I would rather walk from a house I do not know about than buy it and have nightmare.

If the roof is the only problem, it sounds like a good deal. Good luck with the inspection.

I also need to do the flooring. The parquet is starting to pop up. I will be finding out why they came up.

I figure I am spending $10k for the roof and flooring and paint.

I know around here home inspectors take a short class and thier certified. So it can be pretty hit and miss when your looking for a competent one. I talked to a couple , they knew nothing about anything I asked, and a little bit about what I knew. So I passed On them .

Since then I have alot going on found that PPE engineers can be hired to do inspections. Thier more expensive but they with do a through job.

I jut got the inspection done.

I am likely not getting it.

The roof is the least of my worries. The foundation is a bigger issue.

Back