Turning living room windows into bay windows

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin7

Reaction score
Hi there! First time poster.

My girlfriend and I recently purchased a home, we get it in a week, so excited!

The windows upstairs have been replaced, but downstairs windows are older. They're currently fine but we will likely upgrade when we have the money. My girlfriend loves the idea of having a bay window, and I agree, I think it would look nice. I'm curious if anyone would have any idea if it may be possibly for us, by looking at the pictures. Since there's currently siding and such in between the windows, what would need to be done to install?

Thanks for any possible information, it's much appreciated.

window1.jpg

window2.jpg

window3.jpg

That 3 sided bump out on the front IS a bay window.

And :welcome: to House Repair Talk!

Haha, thanks.

Well I clearly don't know my stuff, I guess what I'm asking then is a bay window without the sided bumps, we'd like the window to wrap the entire way around.

I think I would just get 3 regular double hung replacement windows and put them in where the old ones were.

I think you're going to find that those corners are holding up the bump-out's roof. Although a panoramic window sounds nice, it will significantly change the look of your house, and will require a good bit of engineering to install. Maybe you can just pick a window treatment that will let the maximum amount of sunshine in.

BTW: :welcome: to the site. If this is your first house, I recommend "keeping your powder dry", as after you move in, you will find plenty of projects to do and spend money on.

I tend to be a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to older houses and architecture. I would leave the existing structure as is but replace the windows as needed to match. I do think a nice window bench seat on the inside would be a great new addition to that space.

Why would anyone want a better view of the street in front of their house and the traffic on it?

Back