Painting kitchen cabinets

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drake

Reaction score
:help:About two years ago I painted my kitchen cabinets with a high gloss black oil based paint. I love the look but they leave many fingerprints/smudge marks. It has also chipped in many places. I am looking to redo them and would like to get the same look but need it to last longer than two years. I am considering a waterborne paint with a latex poly over that. Does anybody have any thoughts on my idea or other suggestions that may be better. Thanks :banana:

Personally, I would stick with the oil based paint as opposed to all the steps needed to go over it with a water borne.

Thank you Chrisn. Would you put poly over the oil base?

One of the issues with oil paint is that it tends to be more brittle. With cabinets, if you're putting away pans or such and bump the edge, you're likely to get small chips in the paint.
I had the issue once. Last cabinets I used stain, which still gave me some of the wood grain. I covered the stain with poly.

But then I would have the same fingerprint/smudge /chipping issue. I really don't want to have to do this again in another two years.

One of the issues with oil paint is that it tends to be more brittle. With cabinets, if you're putting away pans or such and bump the edge, you're likely to get small chips in the paint.
I had the issue once. Last cabinets I used stain, which still gave me some of the wood grain. I covered the stain with poly.

But to do a stain I would have to sand back to raw wood,not sure that is an option m:hide:

What about a black chalk paint? Never heard of it until I started researching options for this project. Don't know much about it,maybe someone here does?

Egg shell will do away with fingerprints for the most part. All the way to flat black seems a little extreme

I don't understand why you would have finger prints, etc ,with a high gloss oil paint. You should be able to wipe them right off. Chipping I can understand, you just need to be more careful or strip them back to bare wood and start over with the right primer and a QUALITY latex or waterborne finish.

Back