'nother newbie

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBR

Reaction score
Hi, My name is Gary. I live in WA State, in a 1910 craftsman 1-1/2 story bungalow, which I'm still working on since 1976! Added a 3/4 bath, and 3 bedrooms on top, back in '89. Carpenter apprentice in 1973, building houses (framing) in 1975 alone. Had a framing business for 9 years till 2003, when my company insurance went sky-high. Remodel carpenter for the last 6 years, and a new general contractor company this year, such timing!

I noticed all contributors are civil and polite here, which is hard to find anymore. Keep up the good job! I hope to help contribute with my 36 years experience in the field, and secret tips I've learned over the years. Be safe, GBR

Welcome Gary:
Its good to have a seasoned builder to paricipate with us. We are happy to have you!
When you sign on, I find it convenient to go to 'New Posts' and try to help out where-ever I can.
Is your goal as a General Contractor to continue remodeling or are you looking at all new construction? I would strongly recommend staying with the remodeling for a few good reasons. #1 You don't have anyone to bid against, you can get your price (within reason). #2 Remodels move much quicker, you can get done and get going (with money in hand). #3 You can turn over more jobs in a year and should come out with a higher gross income than a 'builder' could. #4 Building is slowed to a snail's pace now but remodeling goes on; folks would rather fix up than to start over.
Glenn

I also agree with Glenn. I have been in the remodel field for about 15 years now. Before that was new construction framing and exterior stuff.
After the remodeling I started the Home Inspection Business and training company, and have done well.
The better job experiences I would pass on to folks still workin the hammer has been remodels.
Then the training.:) More free time and money. And I still maintain all my building contacts to look at things when they go wrong, plenty of work there.:D
I always like to do what is fun for a living, and love new stories, we are glad to have another professional aboard.

Latest posts

Back