do i really need to sand?? hardwood floors

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HyperCello

Reaction score
we just pulled up our carpet and our hardwood floors underneath look fabulous! i want to put a polyurethane coat on it. do i really need to sand down the floors first?

if i do need to sand them, do i have to rent a machine, or can i do it by hand (the room isn't too terribly large...11x14 or something like that).

what will happen if i don't sand the floors down (if i am suppose to)?

thanks!!

Hey Michelle:
Its your floor now. If you think a coat of polyurethane will help it, go for it. If it is stained and there are traffic paths that are lighter than the rest of the floor you might consider sanding and restaining. If it is a uniform color and has no scrapes or gouges in it, a coat of polyurethane will bring back the old shine. My experience is to use the oil based polyurethane rather than the water based. The oil based will wear much longer.
Glenn

I would definitely sand the floor.
Then a few coats of stain.
And a couple coats of poly.

I would sand them down with a machine called a orbital floor sander. It takes a while, but when your done, and polyed the floor will look like glass.

Oil based poly wears better than water base, but in time, usually 12-15 years oil base will start to yellow. But, by that time youll be ready for a change anyway.

thanks. our floor looks in very good shape (under carpet for at least 30 years), so i think we'll give it a shot just using the poly. i mean, what's the worst that will happen? it looks bad and in a few years we have to redo it? :)

i already got the oil-based stain...i'm sure we'll be completely redoing it within 10 years, so i'm not too worried about the yellowing.

If you read the can of stain you have it will tell you to sand.

Back