Does Self-Priming Paint Really Work?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MassWineGuy

Reaction score
I've busted my butt scraping a side of my house down to the wood, sprayed it for mildew and am ready to prime and paint. I have always used a top quality primer as a base, but I know that Sherwin Williams' Duration and Valspar Duramax claim to be able to prime the wood.

I would dearly love to save some time, but I don't want to compromise the paint job or have to repeat it before I need to.

Can anyone with direct personal experience using self-priming paint please comment about the results, how long before you had to repaint, etc.?

Thanks very much.

If you look around on any DIY web site on the web from first time DIY's, and mainly from first time home owners you will see the words "fast, easy, cheap, do not want to sand, over and over.

What better way to gain that market share then to come up with the so called primer and paint in one.
It would be rare to find any real painter using it unless it was customer supplyed.
It simply does not bond as well.

It's the same as that silly Poly shades Min Wax came up with, first timers think it's great because they think there saving a step. In reality it leaves a blotchy, fisheye looking finish on some surfaces.

I wont use it. It covers like regular paint so you still need two coats, and its more expensive. It also goes on thick. Might as well do it right and primer then paint. We did one room in our hose with the all in one and really didnt like it.

I just used it for the first time on three rooms and it worked great. One coat in all three rooms and it covered extremely well.

I used it on a shed for DCX plywood walls and DF fascia. It goes on thicker and sets up pretty fast. Don't bother trying to clean a roller -- just toss it away. Brushes cleaned up nicely. Seems to be doing fine. Only required a 2nd coat in a few places.

Also used it on an interior room, walls and ceiling. This was not fresh wallboard so I can't tell you about the performance other than for previously painted surfaces. Did very well.

Good luck with your decision.

Back