Garage Conversion-Subfloor

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cibula11

Reaction score
Our attached garage will become a bedroom/bathroom. The garage sits about 3 ft below the level of the house. On the side of the garage where the house and garage meet, the concrete block foundation of the house extends up.

I need to attach a ledger (basically building a deck) a few inches off the garage floor so that plumbing and insulation can be added. My question is, can I attach the ledger to concrete block? I assume the block is hollow.

If not, is there another solution? (Could I build a 2x4 wall and attach the ledger to that?)

Or run a PT plate along the floor of that wall and use 4x4 posts to act as beams?

Last edited:
I would go with the continuos wall for support, that way if any changes need to be made like cuttouts for later, you will have support.

Last night I rethought all of this. Tell me if you think this is reasonable.

I will lay 6mm poly, followed by p.t. 2x4 sleepers that will run the perimeter of the floor and also down the center. Then, in between each 2x4 section I will lay by foam board (polyiso...) taping and sealing all joints. Next I will run the joists perpendicular across the sleepers and attaching them to the perimeter walls. This would allow me to insulate the floor and not have to use a ledger (or load bearing ledger) along the concrete block.

I think you will be ok, the continuos foam is the best solution, but you go with what will work for you. You only need 1-1/2 of bearing for joists anyway. You could cut the 2x4s in half and reduce the footprint.
Make sure you run the foam up the side wall also, any exposed concrete or blocks have less than 1 r-value.
Just extend the plywood over the foam areas, your going to be fine.:)

I suggest checking with your local B.D. on conditioned crawl spaces, if you foam the floor and walls. You may need an air exchange to meet code requirements, possibly fire covering on the foam. Or vent it and insulate the plumbing and floor: BSI-009: New Light In Crawlspaces —

Be safe, Gary

Back