Global Warming?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup. Those things are terrible for the earth and most people don't even know it.

The place is changing this is Great Bear Glasier about 50 miles this side of Hyder Alaska The first time I was there in the seventies it felt like you could reach out and touch it. I had the thrill of watching it calve a great chunk into the lake, just before I had the thrill of one cold shower.
The first picture is from the early eighties and the second picture is about 2010

great bear 1.png

great bear.jpg

My lawn mower puts out more bad stuff then my car does.

That's amazing. Our government seems to do a poor job of regulating much of anything.

That's amazing. Our government seems to do a poor job of regulating much of anything.

That was not the origional intent of the federal govt.

In the words of Ronald Regan. The scariest words one can hear is "I'm from the federal government and I'm here to help"

That was not the origional intent of the federal govt.

In the words of Ronald Regan. The scariest words one can hear is "I'm from the federal government and I'm here to help"

It was not, but I also don't think the founding fathers took lawn mowers into consideration. I could be wrong.

I'm a big fan of the initial intention of the agrarian based economy that as established by our predecessors, but in order to comply with the needs of industrialization we need to continue to draw from their inspiration, but not be limited to the words they put on paper.

The idea of America is what made us so revolutionary, not necessarily the execution of those ideas.

I am sitting exactly where the ground was covered by hundreds (thousands?) of feet of ice. Before the carbon and "global warming", it melted and was drained to the ocean by the River Warren that petered out and became the puny Mississippi River and few others. The temp this morning was 63F, it is 75F at noon and heading for a high of 80 with a slight breeze, clear sky and dew point well below 50F (dry). We are looking forward to the fall, winter and then snow (the order is highly variable). I have seen snow in July and thunderstorms (or thunder snow) in January.

The "global warming" is just a short political term (or a very small wart on a very small toad) and people are very, very feeble when it comes to changing the major natural actions. - Local pollution is a manageable problem.

You do not fight with Mother Nature since a large atomic bomb has far less energy than a local thunderstorm that nobody has been able to create, control or stop.

Dick

Last edited:
Global warming is proven, the issue is are humans at fault? I think to some degree, but it was a course we were already on.

Heat Death will happen eventually.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_death_of_the_universe

The thing is you can never get anyone from the scientific community to agree as to where we are, in a cooling cycle or a heating cycle. You can take data and prove any point of view. My biggest problem is who do we believe? Those who are about to reap a huge financial gain (AlGore) goes to the bottom of the list of credibility.

Do we have a fiducial responsibility to cleaning up our pollutants, absolutely. Will mother nature take care of things in her own way? You better believe it.

The thing is you can never get anyone from the scientific community to agree as to where we are, in a cooling cycle or a heating cycle. You can take data and prove any point of view. My biggest problem is who do we believe? Those who are about to reap a huge financial gain (AlGore) goes to the bottom of the list of credibility.

Do we have a fiducial responsibility to cleaning up our pollutants, absolutely. Will mother nature take care of things in her own way? You better believe it.

Horoscope science was a big deal when it was beleived that the sun went around the earth and you still have people trying to prove it works.
We have all made jokes about Al Gore running around like chicken little, but if the sky is falling.
Every sceintific study should also tell us who paid for it. We could look at it by who has more to gain, I am more interested in who has more to lose.
We do know how nature looks after to much heat in the gulf, if we just leave it up to nature, we best get out of the way!

When do you think that will happen?

A few trillion years? Not sure.

That's an issue with science, not the issue in and of itself. What we have are global climate studies and it's definitely showing change. The issue is with the term global warming, in actuallity it should be global climate shift, which as I've said before has happened for trillions of years (we used to be a molten ball before a cooling period) but the fact it's happening and with negative consequences still needs observation.

Science is still in it's infancy, and on a whole it does not claim to know all the answers, only that it has many questions. You have to remember 100 years ago we where still using Alchemy which was studied by the majority of people we now uphold as mentors of science, Newton for instance.

Science is unique in that it does not presuppose an answer (It's not supposed to) but only the quedtion.

Horoscope science was a big deal when it was beleived that the sun went around the earth and you still have people trying to prove it works.
We have all made jokes about Al Gore running around like chicken little, but if the sky is falling.
Every sceintific study should also tell us who paid for it. We could look at it by who has more to gain, I am more interested in who has more to lose.
We do know how nature looks after to much heat in the gulf, if we just leave it up to nature, we best get out of the way!

Which is why I hate the downfall of NASA. We need a unified scientific front and we're doing our best to destroy the culture of science that once made us the world's greatest country.

I read my horoscope ?:p

I have people read me mine, but never go in pursuit of it. It's the same thing as cold reading, which if you know the tricks destroys the magic.

The seemingly increasing number of freak weather events is a bit unsettling. For example, we had record snowfall in April this year. Weather is very complex - currents of moisture and heat moving about. The oceans have a huge effect on our weather. Mathematically, a "system" like this can be knocked out of equilibrium with a relatively small change, resulting in wide swings. I don't fear the warming, but the swings leading to freak weather are scary - it is the freak weather that gives us the record numbers of tornadoes, cold, hot, rain, or drought.

Perhaps this is just all part of a natural cycle. We did, after all, have some pretty freakish weather in the late 1800's. (See 1895 drought)

A few years ago, the doomsayers were predicting the demise of the polar bears, but when they were counted last year, there had been a huge increase in their population. They actually number over 25,000, the most since they have been counting. Climate change doesn't seem to be bothering them.

Latest posts

Back