Are Zoned Heating/Cooling Systems worth buying?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RamonFonseca

Reaction score
Zoned Heating/Cooling Systems are used to maintain temperature between a used and unused area. But, it is really effective or just a waste of time and money? Kindly guide me so that I could reach a decision.:beer:

I put the bedrooms on one zone. They're empty during the day so no need to keep the heat at a comfortable level. The Thermostat has time triggers, so the heat can kick on a little early in the evening, the rooms have a chance to warm up before bed time. If no one is home during the day, you can do the same for the living areas.

IMO some type of systems lend themselves to zoning better than others. Hot water heat again IMO is one of the easiest and best to zone. Like all things there is a point where it is helpful and point where the results are not worth the cost and trouble. As SnS pointed out rooms like bedrooms where they are unused or if you are like me you like a bed room cooler than the rest of the house. The simplest way is just to use some form of manual flow restrictor depending on what heat and cooling source you use. Our old house has just heat and we go around and shift the vents depending on what rooms we want heat to. Works for us. In the summer we have window AC and use the ones in the rooms we are in. Crude but effective zoning.

Here in NC where forced air is the norm due to AC being needed as much as heat it is common to put in two units in homes larger than 2000 square feet. I have a basement unit for my first floor and an attic unit for the second floor. This eliminates the need for space hogging chases to get duct work between floors. The second floor unit can be allowed to run a little warmer during the day in the summer when people aren't using the bedrooms and the downstairs unit can run a little warmer at night when we're in bed. Reverse for the winter months. Another benefit is rarely do both units break at the same time, so if one unit needs repairs you can spend most of your time in the area with the working unit until the HVAC tech can get to your house to repair the unit. Our last house was about 2100 square feet and the single unit did not heat and cool the second floor well at all.

Back