Best way to cut 45 degree end joints

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmc0319

Reaction score
Am going to make some small boxes that I want to miter the ends. I would love to know what everyone thinks the best way to do that is?

I'd use a chop saw or a circular saw with the lines marked with a speed square.
If all else fails, you can go old-school and use a simple miter box.

kok328 said:
I'd use a chop saw or a circular saw with the lines marked with a speed square. If all else fails, you can go old-school and use a simple miter box.
Thanks. I use my chop saw for everything and was wondering if there was a better way. Kind of glad you said chop saw. Thanks

Not sure if this was part of the question but make sure you leave the cuts a bit longer than expected and cut them down to fit perfect. I always tend to cut things too short and have to get more wood.

Use a chop saw and some stops for the length .That way you don't have to worry about the pieces being a little off or cutting them long and creeping up on them.

Small boxes just use your circular saw with the angle adjust with a ledge. Miter box is also good. Chop saw, not so much..
table-saw-injury425x320_0.jpg

I just wanted to close this out. I built a small miter jig for my table saw. I used an 80 TPI blade and have made many boxes so far. All worked great. Thanks for the input.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Repair

Here's a picture of the 45 table saw jig for small pieces. I used maple scraps for the runners. I also included a picture of a spline jig I use for splines in small boxes. Lastly I included a picture of one of the boxes I made. ImageUploadedByHome Repair1407354219.481897.jpgImageUploadedByHome Repair1407354262.597431.jpgImageUploadedByHome Repair1407354332.415606.jpg

Thanks Neal and Inspector

Not to be obnoxious but here is a quick video. It is actually a music box for my granddaughter that will be born in November. Also made a chess table. ImageUploadedByHome Repair1407363470.423509.jpg

I would use a router for both safety and accuracy

Latest posts

Back