Modular Homes?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nincompoop

Reaction score
I am moving out to New Mexico soon and will finally be able to invest in a house (I currently live in NYC so can't afford it). While doing a bit of research online I came across a company called Falcon Ridge that makes modular homes on permanent foundations. They claim that the houses are just as good as site built houses as far as looks, but hold together better over time and are a bit cheaper.

Anyone know anything about these kinds of houses? Is this something that could actually be a good deal or will I constantly have to fix things as the house falls apart? Thanks

I think modulars are good in some areas and not so good in others. They are a cheaper substitute than a regular stick framed home. Alot will have to do with the quality of the company and the contractor you use to finish the installation process.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK...I say that to my 10 year old alot...Check out a list of references and ask them about any problem customers you can talk to. They will not want you to talk to them but insist so you can make an honest decision. Tell them you want to take the good with the bad and not encounter the same mistakes. If you are all on the same page from the start ...it ends up with a better product.. Also check out another company...there must be more than one around.
In this market today they will compete for your business. If they are not interested you would be better off without them, now you know what kind of service you will get up front.
Make it clear you want an open, honest line of communication at all times. If you need some help and can afford a Home Inspector, get one and you will not be sorry. They are there to work for only you, and they have seen more than you will. Check out www.ashi.com for a qualified professional, It is the organization I belong to and we are only a professional organization, doing what we were trained to do. For a $500 dollar investment it saves you many times more in the long run, and less headaches since you have someone to explain the issues in a comfortable, easy to understand language. Not the double talk construction, that's not in the contract lingo.
I have installed about 12 modulars and am still not to impressed, but alot had to do with the quality of the products. You get what you pay for. The concept of modular is a good one, but the quality has to be there. So do your homework, it is a big expense.
I hate to ramble and go but...:D
Tell us how you make out. Everyone is curious.:)

My brother in law bought a modular home many years ago, and overall it was a good experience (he had it built new). You wouldn't know the house was modular unless told, but you can see the odd tell tale sign, like thicker walls were the two sections were joined, which is not a bad thing.

They say that they are built in a controlled environment (which is true) but, I've seen the twist when loaded onto a truck and delivered to the site. Also, they use the thinnest of all materials. Basically the equivalent of a mobile home, put on a foundation.

Welcome Nincompoop:
The term get tnagled awfully bad in housing. There are Mobile Homes (house trailers), Double Wide Mobile Homes (2 house trailers joined together), Pre-Fabricated Houses (under roof in one day on the site), Modular Homes (a real house built in a factory under controlled conditions in 2 or more modules), 'Stick-built' Homes (every piece fabricated on site with the weather).
Because I worked in a 'real' Modular Home factory for 4 years in the early 70s I can honestly say "I have had part in building over 1,000 homes. We built 2, 3 and 4 bedroom houses and shipped them out by truck to be set on a foundation (the truck and heavy-duty trailer came back to the plant). We also built a home for our architect that included 6 modules (over 3,000 sf), several appartment projects 1, 2 and 3 stories. One of the near last houses we built was for my family and me. That one had some 'special finishes' since I was in purchasing at that time. I still drive by there occasionally and it still looks good, brick and all. I worked at several positions in that plant including; finish carpenter, field representative, receiving and distribution foreman, plant foreman ( with a record of 1 1/2 houses a day for 90 days) and purchasing agent. When I went into purchasing it was with the capability to build 40 houses per month. That record had suppliers falling at my feet and unbelievable prices. All good things come to an end though, that outfit went broke and managemet vacated. There are still factories that build houses in modules, Glide Homes in California, Discovery channel has shown a company in Lousiana that builds them and sets them up on 10' stilts! I' sure there are others that I don't know about. Just remember; if the steel frame stays under it, it is a mobile home.
Well, now that I've told all about one of my past lives I rest my case.
Glenn

When you think about it, factory built makes a lot of sense. Can you imagine a car that was delivered to the driveway as pallets of sheet metal, pistons, tires, cans of paint? What a mess.

When you think about it, factory built makes a lot of sense. Can you imagine a car that was delivered to the driveway as pallets of sheet metal, pistons, tires, cans of paint? What a mess.

The first thing I think about is how the rough framing, and especially the t&g floor shething is not subject to weather before the walls and roof are done. That in itself is enough to justify going modular. :)

I have often thought about purchasing a Modular for the convenience of having a new home in a lot less time. I have Reilly looked hard into these and have been in quite a few show homes but the one thing I realize is that in all the years I have been in the Home Improvement business I have had very few calls to repair a modular. As previously mentioned "do your homework".
Another thing is ( at least up here) if the proper tie downs footings and foundation are put in it can become DeRegistered as a modular or mobile which means its a custom home, appraised and taxed as a home.

Proper this, proper that, DeRegistration; it doesn't mean squat to me. I have owned 2 Mobile homes; you can't trick me.
Glenn

2.jpg

hehe

All I was saying is that Modular can have some atvantges and with proper steps can become a nice home if your up to the task.
This is my Mobile which has been deregesterd and classed as a custom home. Yes a trained eye can spot it ( lower ceilings).

frontleft.jpg

frontright.jpg

backsplash-1.jpg

entry.jpg

Modulars are just fine if you get what you pay for. As with any home getting a product you paid for is the issue.
What happened in my experience was that the home was built fine but was damaged in transport, or rained on when not completed, then installed anyway. When the fiberglass insulation gets wet, it no longer has the r-value it once had, and the home gets sealed up without drying out correctly because it needs to be finished.
A home is what you call it when there is a roof over your head, just be aware of any pitfalls and you will be OK.:D
So go modular if you can, it saves time and money and can be a superior product to other style homes. I have seen some stick built homes which should be used for fire department drills.

...I have seen some stick built homes which should be used for fire department drills.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Likewise for some renovations. It's all a matter of making sure you get what you pay for.

The only thing I know is that sometimes you need to special order things you may wish to replace (faucet, stove top, etc.) Most things for Mobile units are special made, the size is different so be careful for that.

For those of you in the southern Ontario area, I have noticed what appears to be a Mattamy 'factory' in the Milton area. Mattamy is a large home builder in Ontario, and it seems they built one MASSIVE warehouse looking building that has a complete 2 storey house being pumped out one side every so often (not sure of the frequency). They do not appear to be modular at all.

They put the houses onto flat bed trucks, but I'm not sure where they are bringing them. There is a lot of development in the area, so perhaps they are seeing if it's better to build houses in an assembly line fashion in a controlled enviorment compared to building on site.

anyone else know about it?

Thanks for all the great info!! I had a chance to go out to the area over the holidays and drove around to check out some of the different houses I had been looking at online. The modular homes ended looking as nice as any of the stick built ones I looked at. I can now consider one of these a bit more. Thanks again for the info.

Good luck , glad to see we could help.
We''l be hangin around to hear the results, and still be here for more help if you holler.:D

Back