Knob and tube and plaster walls

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How would you logically argue this point?
There are sharp objects inside walls but maybe this kind of cable damage rarely happens, even with Murphy's Law.
Maybe when it does a CB trips and so the HO immediately knows there is something wrong.
Regardless of Murphy's Law, the inspector's requests are NOT code required and ARE absurd.

BTW, on bidding, sq. feet and outlets: a contractor should always visit the site before bidding but once the bid is accepted then it and the sq. ft. and the number of outlets is historical data.

I guess my assumption with these numbers is that the recent past can be used to predict the near future to some level of certainty. This isn't The Stock Market. :D
How many different kinds of homes have you worked on? Are you aware of all the different kinds of obstacles and hidden troubles one can encounter doing "old work"?
I have worked in pretty much every kind of home, and I can tell you it is NOT easy to accurately bid on old work unless you know the construction of a home intimately. Anyone who bids a firm price on a job like this is most certainly going to C(his)A.

Regardless of Murphy's Law, the inspector's requests are NOT code required and ARE absurd.

How many different kinds of homes have you worked on? Are you aware of all the different kinds of obstacles and hidden troubles one can encounter doing "old work"?
I have worked in pretty much every kind of home, and I can tell you it is NOT easy to accurately bid on old work unless you know the construction of a home intimately. Anyone who bids a firm price on a job like this is most certainly going to C(his)A.

So the strategy is to not get into likelihoods but just say "not req'd by code." or "Is it req'd by code?"

Even on time & materials the rewiring will eventually be done at some total lump sum cost to the HO. Yes, the contractor will and should increase his price to cover contingencies, risks both foreseen and unforeseen, misrepresentations, acts of God, etc..
That's all in the number I'm looking for.
The forum lurkers and repliers can decide for themselves how valid this method is.

Like I said, getting these numbers is like pulling teeth.
I'm not asking for bank account numbers, here. . .:confused:

Last edited:
So the strategy is to not get into likelihoods but just say "not req'd by code." or "Is it req'd by code?"

Even on time & materials the rewiring will eventually be done at some total lump sum cost to the HO. Yes, the contractor will and should increase his price to cover contingencies, risks both foreseen and unforeseen, misrepresentations, acts of God, etc..
That's all in the number I'm looking for.
The forum lurkers and repliers can decide for themselves how valid this method is.

Like I said, getting these numbers is like pulling teeth.
I'm not asking for bank account numbers, here. . .:confused:
Sorry. Your looking for numbers that don't exist...yet. Maybe one of the other sparkies reading this will go into their records and break it down for you.
I don't price anything by the square foot since this is a misleading way of pricing. You can have a sq/ft price, but then all the extras make that number irrelevant. The only thing I do is usually reverse price new homes to see what the price per ft was. I have been anywhere from roughly $4 to $12 a sq/ft. But this is for NEW construction. To be honest I can't remember the last complete house I re-wired without gutting.

OK, 4 to 12 for new homes.

For rewiring existing homes I have
max> $7.20
min> $3.05
5.35 =average

I'd think rewiring would be more costly and that's not what I'm showing.
Can you think of any other possible reasons for this besides "my data is faulty"?

To many variables.
Plaster with wood lath, plaster with metal lath, drywall with asbestos, insulation type, sawdust or paper in walls. Length of runs, replace the mast or not, changing from mast to underground. You would have to do a chart for all of these things and all the posible combination that could be found.

I'm thinking now that rewiring may not be a high priority for the HO and so the EC cannot ask for as much money, but new houses absolutely need to be wired.

Using stats allows you to summarize all these variables.
There are also ways to find the contribution of each variable to the final result, and it's called Factor Analysis, which is about the most complicated thing I've ever seen.
"Exploratory factor analysis (EFA) is used to uncover the underlying structure of a relatively large set of variables. . . "

Back