I need some help!!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhonda523

Reaction score
Good morning, everyone!

A few days ago, my husband and I were pulling moulding off the wall to cut and adjust to some newer moulding we were installing around the inside of our back door.

When we removed the piece on the right side of the door (a "7 piece), we discovered a black substance on the drywall that covered the space left to right, but only went as high as the moulding covered (2").

I immediately went out and bought a mold test, which ended up with a negative result, thank goodness...but my husband now just wants to "scrub it off" and sand and paint over that spot. I stated that we should probably cut it out and replace it with clean drywall just to be safe. Suggestions?

Additionally, right NEXT to this "mold or mildew" area, is our fireplace, with a huge custom oak surround mantel. It was in the house when we bought it, but it appears that the suspicious area extends behind the mantelpiece. Can anyone tell me HOW I can disassemble the mantel without ruining it? There is crown mouling around the bottom of the top shelf, and I have a feeling there may be some "L" brackets hidden behind it, but I don't want to go ripping into it without some sort of idea of what I'm doing. :confused:

Thanks in advance for your advice and suggestions!

Rhonda

Rhonda, Is the black material dry and when touched, falls off? I have seen bug dropping look like mold. Does the insulation around the door, have the same thing? When I install a mantel, I install a 2x4 to the studs or brick and build the mantel around it. I use screws up from the bottom and down from the top. Then I use plugs to hide the screws, look for little round plugs and if you see them drill them out and remove the screws. Good Luck.

Thanks, G. I looked for screws and wood putty plugs. Found staples and little tiny spots of wood putty on regular intervals, so I'm speculating that they used brads or finishing nails all around to assemble the mantel. I guess the only way to take it apart is with a crowbar....dangit. :(

Oh, and there is no mold on the insulation, or penetrating into the drywall...it's only on the surface paper.

Good luck with the repair. If you damage the mantel, they are not that hard to build and you can make it anyway you want. When I install a fireplace or stove with a manyel, I always install a 110 volt outlet with a switch in the top of the mantel. Candles and decorations can be installed with lights. Good Luck. G

re; moulding with black behind. If there was air leakage around this molding the black is just dirt. Just like insulation around air leaks from inside to outside the pink turns black.

Back