Please help me fix this cracked wall!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whatupdun

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Total rookie here, but I need to make a couple repairs before I move out of this place and don't have any friends IRL who can help with this sort of thing.

Here's a crack I put in the surface of the wall when a kitchen cart fell into the corner. I don't know the name of the material, but as you can see it's a white plastery uneven material with a medium gloss. Beneath that is some kind of metal corner that I hope I need to completely obscure, especially because it's bent up quite a bit.

Forgive my ignorance and feel free to correct me, and I'm sure I can get this done with some clear instructions!

IMG_3074.jpg

IMG_3075.jpg

IMG_3076.JPG

IMG_3077.JPG

The metal corner bead can be smacked or bent back into some semblance of straight, the finish on the wall looks like it should be drywall joint compound, textured to that finish (something I am NOT an expert on...the texturing that is)

Good luck getting a nice match...you might want to consider calling a drywall finisher...it is not as easy as the weekend TV shows try to make it look.

The metal corner bead can be smacked or bent back into some semblance of straight, the finish on the wall looks like it should be drywall joint compound, textured to that finish

Thanks, now I know where to start :)

You may be better off just covering it.

Corner guard protect walls from damage

That could maybe work if I owned this place, but it's a rental. I'm leaving and I need to return it to the same condition I found it. I know the landlord will have to fix this. I'm fairly certain I can handle whatever it takes to get it done:

Bend the corner bead back so it's not in the way, fill with joint compound and then mold to match the texture.

Seems like know, the question is:
How do I match the texture? Is there some tool like a sponge or something that might help?

Trying to bend it back will just do more dammage. You need to cut out the dammaged bead with a hack saw and replace it and then fill it and fake the finnish as best you can.
The bead is availible at lumber yards, cheap!!

Actually, the corner bead shown can be bent back quite a bit easier than removing and replacing it. Find yourself a heavy chunk of straight steel, about 5 inches long and a half inch thick. Hold it against the bent corner, and with repeated small taps with a heavy hammer, you can return it to its former location. You'll have to re-nail it to the corner once it's straight, as some of the adjacent nails will have worked their way loose.

Texturing drywall mud takes some practice. For your situation, possibly a heavy, natural sponge used when just barely damp, and deliberately pushed into the mud after it's had a chance to take a partial set. I wouldn't try to do it all in one shot, but rather several coats (first heavy, then a lighter follow-up or two).

Back