Removing Old Exterior Paint via Infrared

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1victorianfarmhouse

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a 110 year old house, and it has been painted a few times, and now needs fresh paint again. It also needs to have all the layers of peeling old paint removed first.

I've heard some good things about Speedheaters, the infrared devices. Does any of the experts have any comments pro or con here?

Thanks,

vince

I've never heard of a "speed heater" to strip paint.

I have tried using an electric heat gun to strip paint off wood outdoors, and found it to be a complete waste of time. Any little breeze will carry away the heat and cool the surface you're wanting to strip. I suppose the heat gun would work better on a perfectly calm day, but how many of those are there?

Thanks, I was curious to find out if anybody here hadd any pros or cons with using the infrared. I have a lot of small corners to remove paint from, and while the stripper will certainly be called into use along with my collection of picks and scrapers from the furniture repair corner, the bulk of the stripping I expect to be able to do with infrared.

vince

Back