carport conversion questions

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tailor

Reaction score
I'll start by saying that if there is some document out there that outlines the answers to these questions, preferably in fairly plain english, by all means let me know.

I'm going to convert an attached carport into a garage. The garage will have power, but be an unconditioned space. It will involve framing two walls, with a small to medium sized window on each wall for sunlight, and a normal sized exterior door on one of the walls, and the third wall will mostly be garage door, the fourth wall being left mostly alone, as it is currently exterior house wall.

I think I have a handle on the basics of what will be involved, but the details are making me wonder.

The carport has a ceiling of plywood in place. One of the things I am wondering is if I need to, or should take that ceiling down before starting.

Another big question is where to place the wall framing in relation to the edge of the slab. The current posts are 4x4s, set at the edge of the concrete, directly on the concrete. I always heard wood to concrete is bad (but maybe that is only bad if it remains outdoors?), and if that is the case I'll be examining and probably replacing the posts that are there.

However, if the posts do not need to be replaced, then the question of where the wall actually should sit remains. If I frame the wall at the edge of the slab, that seems like the plywood, and sheathing and siding would all by hanging over nothing.

I'll be building the wall frames on the ground in 8 foot segments, along with the window/door rough in as needed.

I'll be attaching the segments to the concrete slab with powder actuated nails, so of course I want to get the positioning right the first time.

After the walls are framed I'll put up OSB, then some kind of sheathing. I have heard of boards that are essentially plywood with exterior sheathing built on, recommendations welcome. After that I guess its just a matter of putting on siding.

I'll probably use the stiff board style insulation, as I don't much like the roll in stuff.

If I have missed a major step, or need to be doing something differently, any advice is appreciated. In fact, advice of any kind related to this project is welcomed. I'll almost certainly be doing it all myself (except for tying in the wiring to the main box, and I'll probably pay to get the garage door installed once it is ready for one.)

It seems like there is probably some book or better yet online publication that describes the required, or best practices for this stuff, but I don't seem to be looking in the right places for it.

Got a permit?:)

No I do not. I am not sure sure I even could get one without knowing the details I am looking to learn. Would I even be able to get a permit before I know for sure what I am going to do?

It was in another state (I am now in GA, that was CA, about 23 years ago), but the last time I filled out a permit app it wanted a lot of specifics that I am still trying to nail down, hence my question.

If you can help with any of the details I asked about I'd would certainly welcome anything you have to add.

I think what Bud was saying was get a permit app, it will tell you whats required and if you can do what you are attempting. If you do unpermitted renovations it can be a problem when its time to sell or if you have an insurance claim. If you are going to do it, do it right. We can help you through the permit process.

oldog/newtrick: "I think what Bud was saying was get a permit app, it will tell you whats required and if you can do what you are attempting. If you do unpermitted renovations it can be a problem when its time to sell or if you have an insurance claim. If you are going to do it, do it right. We can help you through the permit process."

Exactly my point! Very good oldog.:)

The question was a rhetorical question at this point. The permit application will tell you what it is you need to know instead of wandering aimlessly around the Internet.

All of what you want to do is very basic and do-able but the answers to the questions you are asking will be covered by code in most areas. Codes vary. So save yourself a lot of time and go straight to the permit office and let them answer your questions with valid local answers.

Then if we can help we will be glad to confuse you to the max.:)

Back