Can I remove a post made of 1X4s?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmb

Reaction score
I have a 12 foot span between kitchen and step down family room, I removed spindles and plan to remove a post made of 1X4s. A painter told me it has to stay as it is a support beam. It looks decorative only, is not tied into floor or ceiling nor is it covering anything. It is just a box made of 1X4s. I would like to replace it with a half wall. Can this be a true support and more importantly, can I remove it and not replace it?
Thanks

Can you post pictures of the post from different angles, not sure why your painter would say it's a support beam, need to see it first.

I have a 12 foot span between kitchen and step down family room, I removed spindles and plan to remove a post made of 1X4s. A painter told me it has to stay as it is a support beam. It looks decorative only, is not tied into floor or ceiling nor is it covering anything. It is just a box made of 1X4s. I would like to replace it with a half wall. Can this be a true support and more importantly, can I remove it and not replace it?
Thanks

I'm confused. If it's not tied into the floor or ceiling, where is it? What IS it tied into.

And, like Tangelo said, it'd be great to have a picture or two.

Thanks!

Back