Question on finishing a ceiling.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papakevin

Reaction score
I've added a small bedroom onto the back of a cabin and I'm looking for the best way to finish off the ceiling. Since this is a season / vacation location, not interested in drywall since it won't be kept climate controlled. I'd like to have storage over the bathroom (the room behind the door you see framed in the attaché photo) and keep the main are open.

image-3280822898.jpg

papakevin said:
I've added a small bedroom onto the back of a cabin and I'm looking for the best way to finish off the ceiling. Since this is a season / vacation location, not interested in drywall since it won't be kept climate controlled. I'd like to have storage over the bathroom (the room behind the door you see framed in the attaché photo) and keep the main are open.

Understanding I need to keep the space in the rafters open for venting, what is a good cheap way to finish off this ceiling? The roof is metal. Size of the room is approx 12 by 16. Thanks for any and all suggestions.

If you want the rustic look, there is one way . . . Since it is a cabin, you could use T-111 siding for the ceiling. It has a lightly rough texture and is durable. You will have to apply some trim strip at the joints. The grooves make it a little architectural.

Your problem is that drywall allows all joints to be smoothed, while siding does not. You might want to install some light insulation in the ceiling too which will reduce noise as well.

The slightly more expensive choice is tongue & groove rough sawn 1X material. This will require blocks in the rafters for nailing surfaces . . . more labor intensive . . .

Good luck and let us know what you decided. :)

Go for the rustic look in the bathroom too. 2x6 ceiling joist, beadboard paneling on top facing down for the look 5x8 t&g ply over that for a deck for storage

Back