Very Worried about Particle Board AND Vinyl

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surferob

Reaction score
Okay, I think I know the answer to this but I'm asking anyway.

Helping my friend remodel his condo and we want to tile the kitchen, dining area and hallways. Much of it was carpet and we ripped it up to find 1/2 inch particle board. The kitchen is also PB with vinyl. We thought to lay vinyl everywhere else to get a smooth transition. But now I'm reading that this might be a "double" no-no. Viny and particle board...are we idiots?

He's on a tight budget, which is why we're doing the job ourselves. I told him we should consider ripping everything out and putting down 1/2 inch hardiboard, but that's a few hundred bucks. He's hesitant and would rather just lay it as is. Your thoughts?

I figure IF we lay over the vinyl we should at least used acrylic ad-mix in place of water for our thinset, right?

BTW, he's remodeling to sell the place, for what that's worth.

Welcome SurferBob:
You are correct, the particle board and vinyl is a bad mix. I would take it all up and use 1/4" underlayment grade OSB or luan plywood, whichever is cheaper. The old vinyl embossed pattern will telegraph through the new vinyl and makes a shoddy looking job.
Glenn

Latest posts

Back