Exposing chimney

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrotlife

Reaction score
I should be taking possession of my first home soon and im excited to start doing a few projects to make the place as I want it. Think one of the first things I want to do is with the living room. There's a fireplace that i'd like to expose the brick of the chimney (and eventually I want to put a wood stove in front of it and pipe it into the chimney). Was wondering how I go about starting this... Maybe make a small hole to get a look at what's behind it, then just start tearing down the drywall?

It's a small living room and I'd like to open it up a bit. There's some shelving on either side of the fireplace (It's hard to see from the picture, but they are about 2' deep... I dont really want them there and and I think it would open up the room a bit with them gone. Also if that drywall around the fireplace wasnt there it would make the room seem a bit larger).

Any suggestions/ideas on the process would be greatly appreciated!

DSCF7972.jpg

That is one ugly wall.
What where they thinking painting the enclosures black?
A real wood burning fire place is like leaving a window open.
No real mantle, no raised hearth.
Going to be a Pandora's box what's behind that fireplace.
Hope your buying this place real cheap.

First, be sure there is really brick behind the wall. Many modern houses have zero-clearance fireplaces. There may be no masonry at all.
If you think the room is small now, wait till you see what it looks like with a wood-burner in the middle of the room. Consider an insert.
And, because it's your first house, you may not realize how handy cabinets can be. You always need storage. So see if you can get those cabinets out intact, refinish them so they look good to you, and put them somewhere else.

Thanks. I'll cut a small hole first to get an idea of what's there. The house is 60 years old, so hopefully the fire place is just as old. That's a good idea about the shelving, I was just gonna tear it out, but i'll try to take it out intact for some other use now.

A wood stove will definitely take up a bit of the free space, but I plan to use the room more as a dining room / reading room than a living room, so I'm ok with losing some space to it.

Back