Exposed Block Foundation Cracks

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeoffM

Reaction score
Corner of foundation with attached garage to the left of it. What started to look like small settling cracks seems like more.

This wall was covered by a raised garden, including areas without waterproofing. I haven't dug all the way down. I'm thinking the water run off caused a disturbance under the corner.

Potential major job or a DIY?

image-3930654149.jpg

image-779749153.jpg

image-2483594827.jpg

I used a couple tubes of Quikrete Mortar Repair for now to keep the moisture and creepy crawlies out. It should hold until I can have it investigated further.

I dug down another 3 courses below grade and haven't hit the footings yet. How much further down do you think they could be? I don't want to disturb more soil than I have to.

They should be below frost line. That could be four feet in some areas.

Could there have been an addition? - Could be some long term differential settlement.

The crack pattern was quite obvious despite all the coats of paint, but the were a few jogs that did not match where the mortar joints should have been, but it could have been built that way.

Dick

They should be below frost line. That could be four feet in some areas.

I finally found the right part of the local building code and the minimum foundation depth is 3'11". I'll go another foot tomorrow and check out that corner.

Could there have been an addition? - Could be some long term differential settlement.

The crack pattern was quite obvious despite all the coats of paint, but the were a few jogs that did not match where the mortar joints should have been, but it could have been built that way.

Dick

The cracks were obvious when I first pulled the metal siding off but not as pronounced until I hit them with a wire brush. Chunks of the original mortar fell out and it was a little wider than 1/4". They filled in pretty good. I plan on digging down around the whole house and parging all the block as well.

It was built in the '70s and then later the garage was added (originally just a car 'port'). With some of the things I've been finding, who knows what was done before. :rolleyes:

The front of the garage floor will probably not have a foundation under and no protection from frost. Some smat people tie that floor to the wall beside it and as the floor works up and down with frost or just water it can or will damage the wall.

How long did it take to show the cracks? It looks like the top part was always visible. I ask because if it just happened I'd wait before trying to fill the cracks, as it may get bigger.

I think the cracks have been there for a while, it was covered in metal siding by a previous owner.

Back