Baseboard and door tirmming

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tractng

Reaction score
Hello,

Since I am putting new laminate floor (replacing carpet), I will be using 3.25" height baseboard. I am looking to keep the door trimming if I can. It is the standard size (1 9/16"). Would the look be fine, meaning proportional?

I have an 8 ft floor to ceiling. Thanks for your opinion.

TT

Last edited:
I think it would look fine that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Repair

When you do the flooring you leave a gap at the walls for expansion but most people leave the door trim but cut off the bottom in place and slip the flooring under it. Makes a nice clean look and the base board covers the gap.

When you do the flooring you leave a gap at the walls for expansion but most people leave the door trim but cut off the bottom in place and slip the flooring under it. Makes a nice clean look and the base board covers the gap.

I have always done that in the past.

I bought a finisher nailer/compressor (porter cable) combo that came with 2" finish nails (16 gauge). Assuming my drywall is 1/2" and my baseboard is 1/2", would 2" nails be still too long? It looks long. I am thinking 1 1/2" should be right.

Latest posts

Back