L flashing used on new roof ok?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys I'm assuming that where the original roof was it had blocks. Also it's a 2 story house so I don't believe its accessable from the attic. What do you think about putting the step over the L flashing. I know its not proper but even if its 50% better I would have more of a piece of mind.

Willing

Did he build the new roof? Some one should be able to take that flashing off and install blocking in an hour. I was talking about the space inside that roof but I guess the siding was left in place there.

Yes thats correct. He left the siding in place, and on the right side there is a hole from the original roof, he covered it with tyvek. Above the new roof he just chalked a 3" line and cut a hole following the new roof with a grinder with diamond blade.

Thanks
Willing

My contractor is going to send his roofer out next week to take a look to see if step can be put over the L flashing. I had too other roofing companies come out to look at the job.
Both said they probably wouldn't touch it because its a new roof and It might invalidate the contractors warranty. I told them I don't have any warranty on paper. On guy said it was amazing how he got the flashing under the siding. I asked him how they would do it. He told me they would they would reuse the existing flashing or just run new flashing up against the wall. I then said how would he waterproof the flashing against the siding. He mumbled something about acrylic or something, very vague. By the ways these 2 companies won the best roofer awards in the state survey!
If any good roofers want to come to Hawaii and fix my roof I'll buy you a plane ticket over here!

Willing to learn.

My contractor is going to send his roofer out next week to take a look to see if step can be put over the L flashing. I had too other roofing companies come out to look at the job.
Both said they probably wouldn't touch it because its a new roof and It might invalidate the contractors warranty. I told them I don't have any warranty on paper. On guy said it was amazing how he got the flashing under the siding. I asked him how they would do it. He told me they would they would reuse the existing flashing or just run new flashing up against the wall. I then said how would he waterproof the flashing against the siding. He mumbled something about acrylic or something, very vague. By the ways these 2 companies won the best roofer awards in the state survey!
If any good roofers want to come to Hawaii and fix my roof I'll buy you a plane ticket over here!
Willing to learn.

Packing my bag as you read this:)

It's not that difficult, all they have to do is remove the shingle closet to the wall, remove the track flashing. Since there is no blocking behind the siding, install some blocking between the studs. Fill the shingles and new step flashing back in and fabricate new flashing to slide up under the siding and cover the top edge of the step flashing. Make sure there is a hem on the bottom of the new counter flashing to keep the bottom edge true and straight.

The flashing at the bottom is back wards. The siding is over the track flashing. They have tucked their raincoat into their pants (where have I heard that expression before?)

Packing my bag as you read this:)

It's not that difficult, all they have to do is remove the shingle closet to the wall, remove the track flashing. Since there is no blocking behind the siding, install some blocking between the studs. Fill the shingles and new step flashing back in and fabricate new flashing to slide up under the siding and cover the top edge of the step flashing. Make sure there is a hem on the bottom of the new counter flashing to keep the bottom edge true and straight.

The flashing at the bottom is back wards. The siding is over the track flashing. They have tucked their raincoat into their pants (where have I heard that expression before?)

um...er...I just want to stay out of it. All this flashing with raincoats just gets people in trouble.:hide:

It is hard to imagine why the blocking wasn't installed when the structure was built and when the siding was removed for the flashing the builder should have been called back to solve this problem. If the contractor was good he would have seen this coming and if the roofer was good he would have stopped until it was fixed.

I would like to suggest a fix and the roofers here can let me know where I am wrong.
I would cut that flashing at the roof line and remove the top half without damaging the roofing. Now that the open wall is exposed pieces of 2x4s or 2x3s can be cut to fit between the studs and toenailed in place.
With a sawsall I would go behind the siding and cut any nails holding the siding for a few inches. Install the step flashing under each shingle, the flashing may have to be cut to fit below the siding cut. Slip in another flashing behind the siding and house wrap and make sure it covers the top of the step flashing. Re-nail the bottom of the siding which will hold the flashing also.

I will present ideas to my contractor when he shows up. He said the top half is the hard part. It's not hardie plank but 2 large sheets of hardie board and the brown trim piece. I will present these solutions to him when I see him face to face.
By the way I have a good picture of why step flashing is better, but I'm still a little fuzzy on why L flashing is bad. Is the concern where water will flow under the shingles from the L flashing and find a hole thru the felt paper such as nail holes etc.

willing

By the way I have a good picture of why step flashing is better, but I'm still a little fuzzy on why L flashing is bad. Is the concern where water will flow under the shingles from the L flashing and find a hole thru the felt paper such as nail holes etc.

willing

Yep, thats it.

My contractor said theres 2 problems. He said metal studs is hard to nail too, and you would have to nail the step flash high; so he would not be able to put blocking up without taking the hardie board up and the brown belly band(trim). He said he's coming tommorrow to double check that they sealed the shingles to the flashing.

willing

Hmmmm, First of all you can't nail anything to steel studs. They get self tapping screws just like the ones I see in your siding picture. Overall The job looks OK, but he just needs a little more education on transition areas.
If this was my job, I would have screwed a piece of wood to the metal studs at the flashing area sitting on the roof deck. This would enable me to install step flashing against something solid. Then you can tuck a piece of counter flashing under the siding, and over the piece of wood and over the top of the step flashing.
If you look at your roof, there are trim pieces already projecting into the transition areas of the siding.

See what he thinks.

And, you DO NOT nail step flashing into the wall. Let me repeat, you DO NOT nail step flashing into the wall! Step flashing is nailed into the roof deck at the top, outer corner of the step flashing.

Did I mention, step flashing is NOT nailed in the wall?

Like he said,,, but give it something solid to be pushed up against.
Did he mention not to screw it to the wall also?:D........:hide:

And, you DO NOT nail step flashing into the wall. Let me repeat, you DO NOT nail step flashing into the wall! Step flashing is nailed into the roof deck at the top, outer corner of the step flashing.

Did I mention, step flashing is NOT nailed in the wall?

Agreed.,Reason,,,,Your structure is moving and fastening to the wall also complicates a repair and or reroof.A simple tear off can turn into a PITA when step is nailed to the wall.

Step flashing is better IMO than continous hands down.I have always fastened the shingle into the step flashing.Step,shingle,fastener.

I have used continous in the late 80's and early 90's but in the midwest and south east and along the gulf coast it has been single over continous.

OK I'll bite, why do you not nail the flashing to the wall, when siding is applied it is about a inch or so above the roof and nailed thru the flashing? I have been told this before and could never make sence of it.

Siding should be nailed so as to not interfer with the step flashing. When we have a reroof with vinyl siding the J chanel and edge of siding must be taken loose to get the old step out. Step flashing should not be reused, it has holes in it.

Back