Aluminum Porch Roof Material Search.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twind613

Reaction score
Greetings.
I have two porches with old aluminum roofs attached to an aluminum u-channel framework...kind of like giant awnings. one is about 15' the other about 10'. I want to replace the old aluminum roof material, but cannot find a source...and I'm not really even sure what to call such a product. These are long strips that screw onto the framework...each overlapping the next just slightly.
Anyone have ideas on what this material might be called and where to find it? Nothing even resembling this at the local big box stores.
Thanks
Barry
Indianapolis

Attaching pics as I'm not sure about the answer to the question.

Porch roof.jpg

Porch roof2.jpg

Any idea how old this is?
You might be able to put a newer style on the frame. But most are much higher like 4 or 5 inches. So it depends if you can make that work with flashing on the high end.

This looks just like the old awning stuff. It was almost like a siding material and the joints had enough play you could curve the pitch. When I was a kid guys came along from out of state and knock on your door wanting to add a cover your front steps or windows even a carport. I doubt any of them are still going now.

It almost looks like yours is run the wrong direction hard to see the pitch in photos. I'm assuming its just leaking and wore out now. I would do like Neal suggests and remove it and sell it for scrap. Then run purlins between the beams maybe treated 2x4 every 24" OC. Then cover with pole barn painted steel roofing. The trick will be if it joins the house to get the flashing correct as Neal also mentioned.
Can we see a photo of how it's attached to house?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Repair

Best I can determine, this work was part of the 1949 renovation, so it's pretty old. Its leaky from years of hail damage. That u channel is bolted to the house. More pics attached. Thanks for the suggestions. I may have to modify the framework, it seems.

Porch2House Under.jpg

Porch 2house.jpg

Back