Roof is leaking and not sure why or where

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If they didn’t remove the flashing but ripped it up to get the shingles out from under it and then nailed the new shingles down a few inches over thru the flashing after they slipped them under I doubt the new underlayment went up the wall behind the siding. If they took the shingles off with a shovel they most like ripped the old underlayment all up and slid it in under the flashing the same way. My guess is they were not to worried because it’s outside with a open porch and the roof above has a good size overhang.

If you test it with a hose just running water on the roof will not back it up like a ridge of slush would I would spray it in at the bottom of the cover shingles and see if there is a path thru to the bottom side. Just from the last photo its clear water could easily go under the flashing its just a mater if it could get past the underlayment.

If they didn’t remove the flashing but ripped it up to get the shingles out from under it and then nailed the new shingles down a few inches over thru the flashing after they slipped them under I doubt the new underlayment went up the wall behind the siding. If they took the shingles off with a shovel they most like ripped the old underlayment all up and slid it in under the flashing the same way. My guess is they were not to worried because it’s outside with a open porch and the roof above has a good size overhang.

If you test it with a hose just running water on the roof will not back it up like a ridge of slush would I would spray it in at the bottom of the cover shingles and see if there is a path thru to the bottom side. Just from the last photo its clear water could easily go under the flashing its just a mater if it could get past the underlayment.

If there was any kind of dam the water didn't have to back up to the flashing it could get in anywhere and if you point a hose up at it, it will leak everywhere.

If there was any kind of dam the water didn't have to back up to the flashing it could get in anywhere and if you point a hose up at it, it will leak everywhere.

I guess you’re right if it can get thru the tar paper its in everyplace. :eek:

Your looking for the path of the water on the rafters, on the wall , mud on the top side of the soffet.
What you find will give you more to look at.

I guess you’re right if it can get thru the tar paper its in everyplace. :eek:

If the roof was sheeted with plywood or osb, a roof leak only shows up at the cracks between sheets and only tells you that you have a leak. The problem with the hose test is people move to fast, it can take some time for a small leak to show and someone could have moved up to siding and windows before the water shows up and end up going into un-needed repairs. So once the shingles have been hosed down for a while it should be coffee time before moving up to things above. Water showing up after hosing a window would indicate both window problem and a flashing problem.

If the roof was sheeted with plywood or osb, a roof leak only shows up at the cracks between sheets and only tells you that you have a leak. The problem with the hose test is people move to fast, it can take some time for a small leak to show and someone could have moved up to siding and windows before the water shows up and end up going into un-needed repairs. So once the shingles have been hosed down for a while it should be coffee time before moving up to things above. Water showing up after hosing a window would indicate both window problem and a flashing problem.

For water to drip down on his screen it has to be at the very top point under the flashing. If it makes it thru anyplace else it will run downhill and come out some place that doesn’t mean anything about his problem.

My point has been they ripped off the old roof and tar paper and mangled the old flashing and then slid the paper under it and also the top course of shingles and then camouflaged it with a cover row of shingles nailed down to lay flat. He has enough pitch to shed water but he doesn’t have a good seal against the house. If and only if that’s the problem or part of the problem. Hosing the top shingle and seeing water pour out below will tell him real quick that flashing was a short cut because they didn’t want to mess around pulling a couple rows of siding and doing that right. If that’s the case and it sounds like he had the roofer back out I would tell him remove at least 2 rows of shingles and the bottom siding and then do a proper underlayment, new shingles and a new flashing and forget the cover up row. I don’t think he’s going to find any rot but you never know. Now if there is still water coming from above the window guys have to be called back also. I would think when the siding is off he will be able to see if water is coming behind it.

He could also go up and snap off a row of siding not really that hard to do with the $3.00 hook tool and take a look to see what’s going on. :)

For water to drip down on his screen it has to be at the very top point under the flashing. If it makes it thru anyplace else it will run downhill and come out some place that doesn’t mean anything about his problem.
. :)

You missed the fact that the soffet has a slope back to the house do leak any where will show up at the house and then depending on the J trim the water could travel some distance before it shows up where it did. So an inspection of the dust on the top side of the soffet may tell a big part of the story.

I feel like I'am picking on you today.;)

Back