Help finding recessed lights

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I meant : I couldnt see any real difference

Funny thing, I read it how you meant it, not how you wrote it. But yeah, I don't see any difference either.

I added some extra thrown in insulation to a ceiling with cans in it, and I made baffles from sheet aluminum to keep the insuation away from the lights. Not sure if they were rated for contact with insulation cuz I didn't install them.

Question: Why would someone not drop the flange down like they're suppose to? :confused:
Some "cans", or more accurately, recessed housings, simply do not have a "ring" that protrudes from the back side of the sheetrock to the finished side.
As I stated, the Lightolier 1XXX series is such a housing.
elights_1985_86561900

As far as IC/non-IC goes it can be anything and it can be nothing.

SOME cans (Halo H7UICT and Lightolier 1XXXIC) have a big square box around the inner can. These are typically air-tite housings.

SOME cans (Halo H7ICT) have a baffle above the socket and a prong preventing the socket frame from being adjusted upward.

SOME cans (Lightolier Lytening series) have NO difference between IC and non. The trim and installation denotes the rating.

SO...there is really NO cut and dry answer to what makes a can IC or not.

Boy am I confused.... No lights for you.:D
And someone is bustin stones....structurally.:D

I install units according to what works in that area due to centering and things not fitting. What needs to be sealed can be modified...as long as the "building guy" says it's AOK.
Or just go to some really high end low voltage lighting and open your pocketbook.:D

Thanks for the info. Hopefully the next time i shop for cans i wont be so overwhelmed trying to figure out the differences..I installed utilitech new construction lowes generic brand i think. Im normally a patient person but they where about to be ripped out and thrown across the room. i restrained and just threw the screw driver haha.. not getting them again.

I installed utilitech new construction lowes generic brand i think. Im normally a patient person but they where about to be ripped out and thrown across the room. i restrained and just threw the screw driver haha.. not getting them again.
What works best for them, (and Emerald, Commercial Electric, etc.) is avoiding them like the plague.

Stick with known established name brands and you'll be fine.

As far as IC/non-IC goes it can be anything and it can be nothing.

SOME cans (Halo H7UICT and Lightolier 1XXXIC) have a big square box around the inner can. These are typically air-tite housings.

SOME cans (Halo H7ICT) have a baffle above the socket and a prong preventing the socket frame from being adjusted upward.

SOME cans (Lightolier Lytening series) have NO difference between IC and non. The trim and installation denotes the rating.

SO...there is really NO cut and dry answer to what makes a can IC or not.

Thanks Speedy, your two posts have shed more light (haaa haaa... couldn't resist :D ) on this matter than the entire thread, and we now know more about recessed lighting fixtures than most small-time general remodeling contractors, such as myself. If there was a golden light fixture award, I'd nominate you for sure. :cool:

Back