best way to insulate ABS kitchen drain pipe

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nobody

Reaction score
Hi

I recently had a leak in my basement which was tracked to a cracked section of drain pipe behind my kitchen wall.

Had a plumber come in and fix the pipe, my wife was home at the time and I wasnt, and she did not ask him the best way to insulate pipe on an exterior wall.

According to the plumber there was no insulation on the pipe, and 2 joints in the pipe were not glued, pipe was just slipped in.

Advice on insulating the pipe befroe i close the wall up would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Depending on your climate and other factors, insulation will just put off the freezing of this pipe. Heat tape with a thermostat may be better.

Our pipe is in back of cabinets so I just left the inside wall open and arranged insulation partly around the pipe so that the pipe is now part of 'the conditioned space' rather than being in a wall. On very cold nights we leave the cabinet doors open.

BTW, my outside design temperature is +14F; for Fairbanks it's minus 40.

Last edited:
Depending on your climate and other factors, insulation will just put off the freezing of this pipe. Heat tape with a thermostat may be better.

Our pipe is in back of cabinets so I just left the inside wall open and arranged insulation partly around the pipe so that the pipe is now part of 'the conditioned space' rather than being in a wall. On very cold nights we leave the cabinet doors open.

BTW, my outside design temperature is +14F; for Fairbanks it's minus 40.

I live in Northern Ontario, winters can be harsh, and we have seen -40C temps some winters

I was told by an employee at lowes, to use expanding foam insulation instead of pink insulation, and to insulate the cold side and leave the warm side of the pipe open. Not sure if this is correct or not.

the pipe runs down the wall behind my stove so I could leave the wall open and put a grate type covering over the hole, to allow warm air to circulate.

Would this work?

Cheers

I would just use reg. pink insulation on the cold side as suggested. If there was vapour barrier (plastic, poly) behind the drywall that wants to be repaired and sealed and cover it over the heat will get there and you will have fire protection.

Almost certainly, with minimal fuel cost to prevent freezing.

I would just use reg. pink insulation on the cold side as suggested. If there was vapour barrier (plastic, poly) behind the drywall that wants to be repaired and sealed and cover it over the heat will get there and you will have fire protection.

thanks for your responses and advice, it is greatly appreciated. I was out last night and purchased a 14" x 14" wall register grille, I will be finishing off the wall this weekend.

EDIT: forgot to add pic of the crack in the pipe, and the joint below the crack was not even glued. YIKES!!

Cheers

IMG_20140818_171105.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back