Hot water tank pressure release valve

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nealtw

Contractor retired
Reaction score
Friends have a big house on a mointain and have two tanks way way down in the crawlspace, where they never go.
They noticed both the gas bill and water bill was up ,more than a bit. They called their plumber who reported both valves where running, near a steady flow.
He adjusted either pressure or temp. and the valves where still good.
The rest of the story is what I found interesting.

He connected a low voltage flow meter to the discharge pipe, found some low voltage supply at the boiler for the heat system and an extra wire going to the tsat. on the third floor and up there here hooked up a little red indicator lite beside the tstat. So now if water is being discharged the light goes on.

Anyone have any details for a system like that, sounds like it should be code.

He was in and out in less than one hour.

I did something similar at my mother’s house years ago. She had a lift station added to her septic system and I had a concern about what if the float got stuck or something and I added a red light to show when it was running. I also added an electric clock and plugged it into the box that had the light in it. I would set the clock to 12:00 and the only time it would run was when the pump ran. That way I could keep track if the hours on the pump were the same throughout the year. It worked out well.

I agree it’s nice to have something to let you know this outa site outa mind stuff is working.

did this at my moms house,
put a little giant condensate pan switch on the water heater pan connected to a door bell
hey, it goes ding dong but it works !

I did something similar at my mother’s house years ago. She had a lift station added to her septic system and I had a concern about what if the float got stuck or something and I added a red light to show when it was running. I also added an electric clock and plugged it into the box that had the light in it. I would set the clock to 12:00 and the only time it would run was when the pump ran. That way I could keep track if the hours on the pump were the same throughout the year. It worked out well.

I agree it’s nice to have something to let you know this outa site outa mind stuff is working.

i like that idea, that is using your head for something besides a hat rack

i like that idea, that is using your head for something besides a hat rack

You must have known my mom. She always told me that too. Then she would say two heads are better than one, even if one is a cabbage head.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Repair

Back