Wallpaper?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funetical

Reaction score
I've been going room to room pulling out the wall paper. In one room they used a different adhesive. It appears to be elmers school glue(it's clear and globy). What should I use to get rid of it. You could see it through the wall paper.

Are you sure it's Elmer's Glue? Water should easily remove it; try using a putty knife to get off most of it, then try water.

I'd try water too. However, a heat gun will soften it up so that it can be scraped off more easily. I'm thinking that if you steam or heat the wall paper, you may be able to soften the glue holding it on sufficiently to slide a putty knife under the paper to remove it from the wall.

I have had really good luck with DIF gel spray remover by Zinsser. Even layers of stubborn wallpaper are coming off! You can get this is just about any store. I think we picked it up at Wal-Mart.

Well now I'm not sure. I tried warm water, nothing, I tried a pudy knife and it's starting to leave gouges in the drywall. I'm flustered.

Phone your local carpet retailer, and ask to speak to the installations manager. Tell him you're having trouble taking wallpaper off a wall, and want to see if using a heat gun to soften the glue through the paper will work. Tell him you'll put a damage deposit down on one just to see if it's going to work or not.

Every flooring installer will have a heat gun, and there will be a few junky ones with just an Hi/Lo/Off switch kicking around at every place that installs flooring. Try softening the glue by using a heat gun and sliding a putty knife through the glue layer.

Everyone I called (two people) said they don't have it for loan or rent. Would a hot compress work? I'm thinking either hot water or maybe a heating pad. I'm kind of stuck until I can get this figured out. I called a wallpaper guy and he wanted to come out and take a look. I asked what it's going to cost me for him to come out look at it tell me what to do and leave. He laughed at me and told me I should call around. I put it nicer than that saying something along the lines of I need pro advice but not service.

Did you try a wallpaper steamer? You can rent them at most rental shops and some Home Depots. They combine heat with moisture and tend to be pretty effective. You need to score vinyl paper for the steam to penetrate.

I ended up just having to refill the gaps with Spackle and let it dry before I painted. Nothing worked and I still don't know what it was.

I've been going room to room pulling out the wall paper. In one room they used a different adhesive. It appears to be elmers school glue(it's clear and globy). What should I use to get rid of it. You could see it through the wall paper.
Why are you not trying hot water with mixing detergent in it?

Latest posts

Back